Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Jan 22:
There has been series of train mishaps over the last two years across the country in which over 250 people have been killed and nearly 900 injured. Below is a compilation of media reports on worst train mishaps:
- On May 26, 2014: 12556 Gorakhpur-bound Gorakhdham Express train rammed into a stationary goods train near Khalilabad station in Sant Kabir Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh killing at least 25 and injuring over 50.
- On June 25, 2014: 12236- Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express derailed near Bihar’s Chapra town killing four and injuring eight.
- On July 23, 2014: A school bus was hit by Nanded Passenger train at an unmanned railway level crossing in Masaipet village of Medak district. The bus was dragged by the train for about 200 meters. At least 16 students aboard the bus, the bus driver and his helper died in the accident.
- February 13, 2015: 12677 Bangalore City – Ernakulam Intercity Express derailed near Anekal town killing at least 12 passengers and injuring over 100.
- March 20, 2015: Dehradun-Varanasi Janta Express derailed at Bachhrawan railway station in Raebareli in Uttar Pradesh killing at least 58 and injuring over 150.
- May 25, 2015: Muri Express derailed near Sirathu in Kaushambi district in Uttar Pradesh leaving 4 people dead and more than 50 injured.
- August 4, 2015: At least 30 people died and several more are feared dead in the tragedy in which two trains got derailed in Harda in Madhya Pradesh while crossing a submerged track over the swollen Machak River. The twin tragedy took place when 11071 Mumbai Lokmanya Tilak Terminus-Varanasi Junction Kamayani Express and 13201 Patna Rajendra Nagar Terminal-Mumbai Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Janata Express were crossing a bridge on the Machak River almost simultaneously. While 20 of those dead were travelling in Kamayani Express, the other 10 were passengers of Janata Express.
- September 12, 2015: 12220 Secunderabad Junction-Mumbai Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Duronto Express derailed at Martur railway station, around 20 km from Kalaburagi town in Karnataka killing at least two women and injuring seven others.
- September 12, 2015: 3 coaches of a chartered Kalka-Shimla Shivalik Queen (toy train), derailed near Taksal in Himachal Pradesh killing two Britons and injuring 13 more British nationals. The train was boarded by a party of 36 passengers and a tour operator, all from Britain. The Kalka-Shimla Railway, a part of the Mountain Railways of India is being enlisted as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2008.
- September 30, 2016: Bhubaneswar-Bhadrak passenger train and a goods train near Kathojodi station at Cuttack collided with each other causing the death of two persons and injury of 35 others.
- November 20, 2016: 14 coaches of 19321 Indore-Rajendra Nagar Express derailed at Pukhrayan, approximately 60 kilometers from Kanpur. At least 150 deaths and 260 injuries have been reported in Pukhrayan train accident.