Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Kendrapara, Oct 13:
A two-month-old boy in Odisha’s Kendrapara district has allegedly died after being administered with the polio vaccine.
Anil, son of Ratha Murmu of Shyamsunderpur village under Kendrapara Sadar police station limits, who was administered with polio vaccine in the afternoon yesterday was shifted to the district headquarters hospital here in the night after he developed fever. The child died while undergoing treatment, reports said.
The child’s family members have complained that the child’s death was caused due to the administration of poison in the form of injection.
“Our boy was well before he was given polio vaccine. He developed fever in the night. We brought him to the hospital. Now he is dead. They have killed my child by injecting him with poison,” said a sobbing Kavita, mother of the deceased infant.
“The two-month-old child was administered with polio injection by the Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) at the Halipur school and on her instruction, the vaccine was again administered to the child at Balia school. The child died yesterday in the night. They (parents of the deceased child) have alleged that their child has been killed by administration of a poisoned injection. After post-mortem report is available the real cause of his death will be known and then action will be taken,” said Nilakantha Patra, IIC Sadar Police Station, Kendrapara.
“The two-month-old child was well before he was administered with the vaccine according to our worker. He was administered polio injection. However, he died all of a sudden at around 2 AM today. The death has occurred after ten hours of administration of the vaccine. The real cause of the death will be only known after proper investigation,” said Dr. Niranjan Swain, CDMO Kendrapara today.