Reported by Santosh Jagdev
Bhubaneswar, Aug 9:
Ahead of the celebration of Independence Day Parade which will be held on August 15 at Mahatma Gandhi Marg (MGM) in the Odisha capital, Twin city Commissionerate Police today announced special arrangements to regulate traffic in the city.
Dr Santosh Bala, twin city Additional Commissioner of Police (CP) said, “People from different parts of Bhubaneswar and other places would come to witness the Independence Day parade. The huge congregation expected may cause serious traffic congestion around the MGM.”
“This apart, the rehearsal parade shall also be held from August 11 to August 13 from 2 pm to 7 pm at MGM. In order to regulate traffic, there is a need to impose some restrictions on traffic movement around MGM until the August 15 parade is over,” the Additional CP said.
An order has been issued by the Commissionerate by virtue of powers conferred under section 28 of the Orissa Urban Police Act 2003 (Orissa Act 8 of 2007) and in pursuance of regulation 36 and 37 of Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Police Commissionerate (Traffic and Public Order) Regulations, 2008 in the interest of public safety, traffic and convenience, she said.
As per the order: 1) No vehicle shall be allowed to come towards Master Canteen Square either from the Ram Mandir or Rajmahal crossings while vehicles coming from the Housing board square towards the Rabindra Mandap square would be diverted at Keshari talkies towards the left side lane from 6.30 am onwards on August 15 until the parade is over.
2) Two wheelers and light vehicles shall be allowed from the aforesaid crossings to Master Canteen square but they would not be allowed to turn towards PMG square on MGM till the parade is over.
3) No vehicle shall be allowed to move towards PMG square from AG square side and traffic on this stretch would be diverted from Jayadev Bhawan crossing towards IDCOL auditorium.
4) Vehicles coming from 120 Infantry Battalion crossing shall be diverted towards Unit-4 at MLA colony crossing.
5) All the lanes touching MGM shall be sealed and only pedestrians shall be allowed to go towards MGM.
6) The aforesaid restrictions on traffic movement shall also be imposed during rehearsal parade days from 7 am until the parade is over.
Selling of gas balloon is strictly prohibited in the area between PMG square and Master Canteen during the parade time.
The Commissionerate has also selected various places like BDA bus stand near railway station, the open space in front of Congress Bhawan, Hotel Jajati, IDCOL auditorium, Jayadev Bhawan, SBI, Rabindra Mandap and Unit-II Girls High School ground as designated parking places for commuters.