Home MISCELLANY HEALTH & WELLNESS Three from Odisha die of dengue in Mumbai; NRO toll seven

Three from Odisha die of dengue in Mumbai; NRO toll seven

0
SHARE

Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Sep 19:

With the number of dengue-affected persons rising alarmingly in some parts of India, at least three people from Odisha residing in Mumbai have succumbed to the disease in the last three days, reports reaching here said.

Dengue_5

The deceased hailed from Banki in Cuttack district, Oupada in Baleswar and Delang in Puri.

While the official dengue death toll in Odisha is one, at least seven non-resident Odias (NROs) have fallen prey to the deadly dengue virus so far this year.

The most recent of the victims of dengue was Subhas Sethi (21) from Sikiria village under Oupada block in Baleswar district, who died yesterday afternoon. Sethi, who was working in a private company in Mumbai, died at a private nursing home in Chembur area in the city. He was admitted to the nursing home on Wednesday due to unknown fever. However, blood tests confirmed dengue infection in Subhas.

Tapan Kumar Gocchi (55) from Dangipitta village under Banki NAC in Cuttack district. Gocchi was working in a pharmaceutical company in Mambe area in Mumbai as a labourer since last 10 years. Last Sunday, he took ill and was admitted to a private nursing home in the area. As his condition showed no improvement, he was shifted to the ICU. After undergoing treatment for four days, he succumbed on Thursday. His body was brought to his native village in Dangipitta and funeral rites were done yesterday afternoon.

“My father has died due to medical negligence and there should be a thorough inquiry into it,” Manas Gocchi, son of deceased said.

The sub collector has assured the bereaved family members to conduct an inquiry into the matter and provide assistance to them.

A 30-year-old youth, Narendra Bal, from Panchabatia village under Berboi panchayat of Delang block in Puri district died in Mumbai on Thursday. Narendra, who was working in a private company in the Maximum City, was admitted to Savarkar Hospital on Sep 11 and was later shifted to KEM Hospital. He died in the wee hours of Thursday after undergoing treatment for a week.

In view of the grim situation, the state government has set up a dengue helpline number—0674-2390466—in the capital city to provide information to the people.

“The helpline number will be open on working days and during the office hours only,” Public Health Department Director Dr Kailash Chandra Das told newsmen yesterday.

Till, now 469 dengue patients have been identified in the state.

State Health Minister Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak yesterday appealed to the people not to panic as the government has taken adequate measures to deal with dengue situation.

“We have arranged for free treatment of dengue patients in each district headquarters hospital, besides Capital Hospital, SCB, MKCG and VSS medical colleges. Special dengue wards have been earmarked in all these hospitals. Blood platelets have also been made available in these hospitals for emergency situations,” Nayak told reporters yesterday.