Home INDIA & BEYOND Tension continues in Delhi colony

Tension continues in Delhi colony


New Delhi, Oct 26 :

Delhi’s Trilokpuri area remained tense Sunday though no violence was reported, police said, a day after five people were shot at during a communal clash, leaving one in critical condition. But police denied the area was curfew-bound.

“The situation is tense but under control. No fresh violence or clashes have been reported,” Deputy Commissioner of Police Ajay Kumar told IANS.

Police had detained around 70 people till Saturday night after two groups belonging to two communities pelted stones at each other Friday. After a brief lull, clashes erupted again and five people were shot at Saturday evening.

Three of the wounded were identified as 16-year-old Ajit, who has a back injury, 15-year-old Arjun, who is in critical condition with a head wound, and Praveen, whose age is not known.

Following Thursday’s clash over Diwali celebrations, the authorities imposed prohibitory orders banning illegal gatherings.

Trilokpuri residents said there was “a curfew like situation”.

Delhi Police denied this. “There is no curfew like situation, but section 144 of CrPC (prohibiting unlawful assembly of people) is imposed in the area,” spokesman Rajan Bhagat told IANS.

The whole of Trilokpuri, divided into 36 blocks, were being manned by more than 1,000 security personnel – from Delhi Police, Rapid Action Force and Central Reserve Police Force.

Over 30 police vans, water cannons and riot control vehicles have also been deployed.

Some of the roads where street clashes took places were strewn with stones and broken bottles Sunday.

Though police said the five were injured in mob firing, their families blamed the police.

“Arjun was shot by police when he was returning from a nearby block. He had gone for tuition and was returning around 1 p.m. Saturday,” his mother Malar told IANS.

Ajit’s mother Anjali also claimed that her son was shot by police.

Police said 14 people, including 13 police personnel, were injured in the stone-pelting. They were admitted to hospitals.

Trilokpuri residents expressed anger over the police action, and accused officials of not apprehending the real culprits.

“Most of the people staying in block 27 were nabbed from their houses. They were badly beaten up and dragged out of their houses. All of them are innocent,” a Trilokpuri resident told IANS.