Bhadrak: The locals at Karanjamal village under Chandbali block were shocked to see smoke emitted from a hole while digging an open surface to install transformer here in the district yesterday.
Some claimed it as a ‘hot spring’ after witnessing the geothermal water and smoke inside the hole.
According to reports, the electricity officials had disconnected the earthing wire from the transformer based on a complaint by the locals at Karanjamal village two days ago. The villagers and electricity officials noticed the heated groundwater on Wednesday while digging a hole for earthing. After digging the hole upto 5-ft deep, they found hot groundwater filled with smoke in it.
With the news spread across the village, the locals rushed to the site to see the geothermally heated groundwater arising from the Earth’s crust.
However, no initiative has been taken for conducting a survey to ascertain the reason behind the heat and smoke beneath the surface.