Madrid, May 18:
Russia’s Maria Sharapova on Monday regained second place in the WTA world rankings after winning the Rome Masters on Sunday while Spanish finalist Carla Suarez moved to her highest ranking ever at eighth.
Romania’s Simona Halep, who lost in the semi-finals against Suarez, moved down to third while American Serena Williams continues to lead the pack with 9,361 points.
The current WTA rankings:
1. Serena Williams (USA) 9,361 points
2. Maria Sharapova (Russia) 7,710
3. Simona Halep (Romania) 7,360
4. Petra Kvitova (Czech) 6,760
5. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 4,940
6. Eugenie Bouchard (Canada) 4,167
7. Ana Ivanovic (Serbia) 3,655
8. Carla Suarez (Spain) 3,645
9. Ekaterina Makarova (Russia) 3,510
10. Andrea Petkovic (Germany) 3,315 (IANS)