Home STATE Rapists, killers of Odisha minor girl finally nabbed

Rapists, killers of Odisha minor girl finally nabbed


Jagatsinghpur, Sep 6:

Police have arrested the prime accused and his accomplice in the shocking gang rape and murder of a seven year old minor girl that had taken place on August 21 evening at Manumahala village under Tirtol police limits in Odisha’s Jagatsinghpur district.

“Both the prime accused in the case Sheikh Asif of Mirmahala village under Tirtol police limits and his accomplice Sheikh Abid of Kolta area under same police limits have been arrested”, said Sudha Singh, SP Jagatsinghpur at a press meet here on Friday.

The SP said a Honda Activa scooter, a battery and mobile phone without sim card were seized from them.

Police had formed three squads to nab the culprits in the gang rape and murder case, Singh said while adding that several teams of the Jagatsinghpur police travelled to Kolkata, Jajpur and Bhubaneswar but the prime accused Sheikh Asif and Sheikh Abid were finally arrested from Bhubaneswar’s Palasuni area.

Both Asif and Abid have several cases pnding against them- which include charges of murder, attempt to murder, illegal possession of firearms and using them to terrorize people and involvement in anti-social activities, police said.

While Asif has seven cases registered against him at different police stations Abid has eight cases against him.

Police had arrested another accused Sheikh Akil immediately on the next day of the incident.

“Another accused person, who is on the run will be arrested very soon”, Singh told reporters.

It may noted here that a seven year old minor girl of the minority community from Manumahala village in Krishnanandpur panchayat under Tirtol police limits, who had gone to the local market on August 21 evening, was forcibly taken to an abandoned house by some youths and left in a critical state after being allegedly gang raped.

The minor girl, who was found by some locals from the abandoned house with scratch marks on her neck and injuries all over her body, was taken to a private nursing home in Cuttack where doctors declared her brought dead. Her mouth had been gagged with sand when she was found, eyewitnesses had said.