Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, May 15:
Crime Branch of Odisha Police today issued advisory to internet users to prevent WannaCry Ransomware attack which has wrecked havoc across sectors.
Crime Branch special DG BK Sharma issued advisory in the backdrop of global malware attack which has already affected over 150 countries and is likely to infect workstations in India today.
Follow the instructions to safeguard against possible cyber attack.
(1) Keep Anti Ransomware and Antivirus software up-to-date Virus definitions must be updated to protect against the threat. Always keep real time protection and auto update feature in active mode to prevent attack. Anti Ransomware Software Link: Anti Ransomware Tool :Kaspersky tool https://go.kaspersky.com/Anti-ransomware-tool.html Anti Ransomware Tool :Bitdefender https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/anti-ransomware-tool.html
(2) Keep your systems Updated: If you are using Windows operating system, keep your system up to date or simply upgrade your system to the latest Windows version i.e. Windows 10. For other versions of Windows OS: If you are using Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003 or 2008, apply the emergency patch released by Microsoft. Link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx
(3) Enable and Configure Firewall: Enable firewall and if it is already there, modify your firewall configurations to block access to SMB ports over the network or the Internet.
(4) Disable SMB service: Follow the below mentioned steps to disable Server Message Block (SMB). a) Click the link and download the zip file. https://www.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/SMB2%20Toggle%20Too.zip b) Extract the Zip file and run the exe file. c) After 5 seconds, computer will automatically restart
(5) Backup your data regularly: To always protect your important files and documents, keep in place a good backup routine that makes copies to an external storage device not always connected to your PC. This will protect your data.
(6) Email Security: Always double check before downloading any document as attachment in email. Don’t click on links inside those documents without verifying the source.