Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Jul 10:
Properties worth Rs One crore was gutted in a major fire that broke out in the mosquito research unit of the Regional Medical Research Centre (RMRC) in the Odisha capital today.
However, no casualties have been reported in the accident.
The fire which broke around 1 PM in the afternoon in the first floor mosquito research unit of the RMRC, damaged a DNA sequencer machine, three computers, air conditioners and documents connected with research valued at around Rs One crore.
Employees evacuated the premises on seeing smoke emanating from the room.
On receiving information, two fire tenders from the Chandrasekharpur fire station rushed to the spot and doused the flames. Short circuit is suspected to be the reason behind the fire.
“On receiving information about the fire, we immediately rushed to the spot with two fire engines. After entering into the first floor room using ladders, we doused the fire. The fire could be due to short-circuit caused by high voltage resulting in air conditioners catching fire. One DNA sequencer machine, three computers and other articles have been damaged in the fire. Had it been a little late, the fire would have spread to the laboratory adjoining the room,” said a fireman.
Sources in the RMRC said a departmental inquiry has been ordered into the incident.