Home ODISHA LATEST Phulbani custodial death case takes a new turn

Phulbani custodial death case takes a new turn


OST Bureau
Phulbani, Dec 28:

The much-talked-about custodial death of a youth at Phulbani Town police station has taken a new turn as the deceased has been identified as Amit Nayak and not Pratap Pradhan as claimed by the police earlier.

Amit Nayak: Mysterious death
Amit Nayak: Mysterious death

The matter came to light after the family members identified the deceased as Amit Nayak alias Litu.

According to reports, Amit was a native of Ganjuguda village of Gadaguda panchayat under Tikabali block in Phulbani district. His father Mahendra Nayak, a former army sepoy of Bihar Regiment, had died on November 18, 2011.

Neither Amit’s mother and nor the people in Ganjaguda village are in a position to accept the police version that Amit was involved in Maoist activities.

After a day of Amit’s death, The G.Udayagiri police on December 24 took Amit’s mother and two villagers of Ganjaguda to Phulbani Town police station. Later, the police took her to identify the body which was kept inside the ice chamber of an ambulance van. Looking at the body, she immediately recognized it to be that of her son.

There was no cloth on his body which bore several bruises.

When asked about how her son died and how he was brought here, the police, instead of giving any reply, took her signature and sent the body to MKCG Medical College and Hospital at Brahmapur for post mortem.

After the post mortem, the police under the pretext of the proposed Kandhamal bandh call, asked Amit’s mother to perform the cremation of her son in Brahmapur. But she turned down their plea and the body was later taken to Ganjaguda village where it was cremated.

Now the question is why was the police claiming that the deceased was a Maoist called Pratap Pradhan?

The Phulbani SP had informed about the death of Amit (claimed as Pratap)on the night on December 23.

Strangely, the police informed about the seizure of a diary, two mobile phones and the bike of Amit on the next day.

Going by the sequence of events, it is quite clear that the police have been trying their best to hush up the custodial death of Amit.

As briefed by the mother, Amit had no illness. On December 23, he had left the village with his bike saying he would return in 15 minutes.

“My son’s engagement ceremony was held in November 13 while his marriage was scheduled for April. Police have killed my son. I will appeal the court for justice”, she told OST.