Brahmapur, Oct 23:
At least three persons including two women died of asphyxiation today while four others were battling for life after they inhaled gas emitted from generators and were admitted to hospitals, police said.
While two, Anita Sahu and her daughter Sayani of Godabarish Nagar in Brahmapur had died of asphyxia, one Kamalakant Ojha of Kodala town died under similar circumstances.
The victims’ families had used generators to light their houses and operate fans due to lack of electricity supply to Berhampur and Kodala towns since the last 12 days following severe damage to power infrastructure after cyclone Phailin ravaged Ganjam district.
While keeping the generators running inside the room due to lack of power, they had invited trouble by closing all doors and windows before sleeping.
However, police said the condition of four others who have been severely ill in the incident is improving. They have been admitted at the MKCG Medical College Hospital here. (With inputs from PTI )