Home STATE CITY Odisha obscene video case: Cellphone sent to Hyderabad for forensic test

Odisha obscene video case: Cellphone sent to Hyderabad for forensic test


Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Sep 13:

The Cyber Crime Cell of Commissionerate Police has sent the mobile phone used by a man to videograph obscene pictures of a girl student of a premier private technical education college in the Odisha capital to Hyderabad for forensic tests, police said today.

mobile camera

The Commissionerate police have sent the mobile phone to Software Forensic Laboratory in Hyderabad yesterday to ascertain whether the accused has circulated the video clippings on social media and messaging platforms apart from sharing it through Bluetooth, police said.

Preliminary investigation reveals that the mobile phone handset of the accused Rakesh Padhiary, who was arrested on Friday, did not have internet connectivity on the phone. So, there is little possibility that he could have uploaded the objectionable videos on internet, police said.

“As the accused was not using internet on his phone, there is remote possibility that he could have uploaded the videos on the internet. Moreover, the students have deleted the clippings after he was apprehended by them. We are now investigating whether he was involved in such activities earlier and he had shared videos with others. The mobile handset has been sent to the software experts in Hyderabad to unearth more details about it. The information provided by them would give a clear picture on this,” Infocity Police Station IIC Manoj Samanta said.

Notably, the students had caught Padhiary red-handed while he was recording the obscene video of a girl with the help of his mobile camera which he had installed in the bathroom of the Campus-VI of the KIIT university in Patia area in the city.

Sources said while the video in question was deleted immediately by the students who caught the accused in the act, there are at least 13 more obscene videos on the mobile. Police are now trying to find out whether the accused had accessed them from external sources or shot them himself.

The accused, a resident of Gandarpur in Barang on the outskirts of the city, was working as a casual labourer in the university. He was arrested from his native place after protests by the students of the university.

Despite his arrest, however, girls in the campus are unable to breathe easy because they suspect that the accused could have taken such obscene pictures earlier too and circulated them to friends, if not on the internet.

The role of the university authorities and the police have come into serious question in the case. While the university authorities did nothing to address the apprehensions of the girls, the police, in an inexplicable move, had let off the accused after he was caught and handed over to it. They had to trace him out and arrest him only after students sat on a dharna.