Reported By Ranjan Rath
Rayagada, Jan 11:
A day after Inspector General of Police (IGP) of south-west range of Odisha Yashwant Jethwa claimed that at least seven Maoists have been killed in the ongoing ‘Operation All Out’ jointly launched by the elite Greyhound unit of Andhra Pradesh police and the SOG and DVF forces of the Odisha Police, a Maoist leader today rebutted the claims of any casualty on their side during the operation.
Malkangiri Koraput Border committee Secretary Ghenu, in an audio message, claimed that two security personnel were injured during a pre-dawn exchange of fire on January 5 at Tumbei-Dejing area near Balimela reservoir in the cut-off areas of Malkangiri district. However, there was zero casualty or injury on the Maoist side, he added.
On January 4, a man from Narenjala village was gunned down by the armed forces while returning from Panasaput haat on a ferry, the Maoist leader claimed. He said security personnel have been threatening the family members of the deceased to keep mum.
While briefing the media on the ongoing ‘Operation All Out’ yesterday, Jethwa had said that he had visited the cut-off area of Malkangiri district with the IG, BSF and Malkangiri SP where he came to know that seven Maoists had been killed during the joint anti-Maoist operation by the security personnel.
The bodies of the members of the outlawed group had been disposed off by the Maoists, he had told the media.