Home STATE CITY Odisha kidney sale racket: ED raids Apollo Hospital

Odisha kidney sale racket: ED raids Apollo Hospital


Reported by Santosh Jagdev
Bhubaneswar, Jun 5:

After Seven Hills hospital in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) today conducted raids at the Apollo Hospital here as part of its ongoing probe into the sensational kidney sale case in Odisha’s Cuttack city.

apollo hospital

The ED officials inspected several documents during the raid at the hospital, sources said.

On May 30 last month, a three-member ED team, comprising three assistant directors, visited Seven Hills Hospital at Visakahapatnam to investigate last year’s alleged kidney sale racket in Cuttack and had interrogated some doctors and higher officials of the hospital.

It is expected that the agency will bring the director of the hospital Dr Prabhakar Babu to Bhubaneswar for further interrogation.

The ED strongly suspects that some doctors of the Seven Hills Hospital connived with middlemen to exploit poor people by luring them with money to donate their kidney cheap, the sources revealed.

Two alleged cases of kidney sale had come to fore in Cuttack last year in the months of April and May making waves in the state.

In two separate cases, some middlemen had allegedly lured two women, Padmini Nayak and Namita Nayak of Nayak Sahi in Mangalabag locality of Cuttack city, to part with their kidneys with promises of lucrative amounts of money. However, the two women were not paid the amounts promised to them by the middlemen.

After the matter came to light, the Commissionerate police first arrested one Sharmistha Nayak, who had acted as a broker in these transactions, her husband Dillip Nayak and another middleman Niranjan Choudhary alias Nirakar. Later, it also arrested brother of a kidney recipient, his friend and a director of Seven Hills Hospital N Prabhakar Babu.

Mysteriously, the Commissionerate Police had closed its files and wound up its investigations in a serious matter like kidney sale without taking it to its logical conclusion.

Considering the seriousness of the matter, the ED has begun investigations into the matter on its own after about one year of the incident coming to light.