Bhubaneswar: In a bid to ensure safety of students in schools across Odisha, the state government has ordered for action against teachers/staff on being found drunk in schools.
The School and Mass Education Department has issued guidelines in this regard after several incidents of students getting harassed in schools came to fore last year. The district Collectors have been asked to take action in the cases of rights and safety of students getting hampered.
Here are the major components of the guidelines:
* Boundary wall compulsory at all government and private schools.
* Main gates to remain locked during classes.
* Police raid for evicting shops near schools selling tobacco products.
* Traffic management for schools near crowded places.
* Awareness programmes among teachers and students regarding safety.
* Identification of school bus drivers and conductors by local police and examination of their documents.
* Facilities of drinking water, toilet and dustbin in schools.
* Facilities in school buildings for dealing with natural calamities and fire mishaps like emergency exit and water stock to extinguish fire.
* No low lying electric wires near schools.
* No open wells on school premises.
* No punishment for students.