Home ODISHA LATEST Odisha CM urges Centre to hike funding for scholarship of SC students

Odisha CM urges Centre to hike funding for scholarship of SC students

0
SHARE

Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has urged the Centre to increase the latter’s funding towards post-matric scholarship programme for Scheduled Caste (SC) students in the state.

In a letter to Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment Thaawar Chand Gehlot, Patnaik said the post-matric scholarship programme is a Centrally sponsored scheme, wherein until 2016-17 the Centre was providing 90 per cent of the fund while the State was bearing the rest 10 per cent.

From 2017-18 onwards, the Centre has revised the liability of the State Government towards the programme, wherein the state has to bear 80 per cent of the total expenditure. Such an abrupt change in the funding pattern has given a severe jolt to the scholarship programme for SC students, the CM said in the letter.

Patnaik requested the Union Minister to reconsider the matter and restore the funding pattern of 90:10 for smooth implementation of the programme.