Home HEADLINES Notices to 5 Delhi hospitals for not admitting dengue-struck Odisha child

Notices to 5 Delhi hospitals for not admitting dengue-struck Odisha child

0
SHARE

Odisha Sun Times Bureau
New Delhi, Sep 12:

The Delhi government has issued show cause notices to five leading hospitals in the national capital for having refused admission to an eight-year old boy suffering from dengue whose parents, hailing from Odisha, jumped to death from the fourth floor of their rented apartment in a suicide pact late on Tuesday night after their son died of the disease.

Laxman and Babita Rout with their son Avinash in happier times (File Pic Courtesy: ibnlive.com)
Laxman and Babita Rout with their son Avinash in happier times (File Pic Courtesy: ibnlive.com)

Delhi Health minister Satyendra Jain has issued the notices to the five hospitals – Max hospital in Saket, Moolchand Khairatiram Hospital in Lajpat Nagar, Saket City Hospital, Irene Hospital, Kalkaji and Aakash Hospital in Malviya Nagar – asking them to show cause why their registration should not be cancelled for not admitting the boy.

Jain has promised the “strictest” action against those who flout the August 28 advisory which makes it mandatory for all hospital and nursing homes to admit patients suffering from dengue.

Police said the couple — identified as Lakshman Chandra Raut, 35, and Babita Raut, 30 — jumped from their rented accommodation in Lado Sarai area of south Delhi around 1 AM on Wednesday.

The couple had tried to get their child Avinash treated at these hospitals, but were allegedly refused admissions on the ground that beds were not available. As a result, the treatment of the child was delayed. On Monday, he was admitted to Batra hospital in a critical condition, but died within four hours of being admitted.

The last rites of Avinash were done in Chhatarpur crematorium on Monday. At about 1 am on Tuesday night, the grieving parents wrote a suicide not, kept it on the table and jumped down from a four-story building in the neighbourhood. The couple was cremated on Wednesday night in Chhatarpur crematorium.

“The couple has left behind a one-page suicide note in Odia, in which they written that “it is nobody’s fault” and the decision” was theirs,” said DCP (south) Prem Nath.

The police have initiated an inquest proceeding into the incident under Section 174 Cr PC though no case has been registered so in the matter so far.

Laxman Chandra Rout and Babita Rout, natives of Gopinathpur village in Kendrapada district of Odisha, were staying for the last 10 years in Lado Sarai. Laxmidhar Rout used to work as assistant manager in Pizza Hut in South Delhi.

 

http://odishasuntimes.com/2015/09/10/after-losing-only-son-to-dengue-odisha-couple-in-delhi-jumps-to-death/