Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today put forth a proposal regarding Railway projects worth about Rs 6500 crores for the state in the Union Budget 2018-19.
In a letter to Railways Minister Piyush Goyal, Patnaik has elaborated the proposals pertaining to the development of railways in the state for the former’s consideration and inclusion in the budget.
Below are the proposals in brief:
* Sanctioning of new railway lines– Brahmapur-Phulbani-Sambalpur, Bargarh-Nuapada via Padampur, Bhadranchalam-Malkangiri, Talcher-Gopalpur, Gopalpur-Singapur Road New B.G. line (via Padampur, Ramanguda, Bankili) and Lanjigarh-Talcher.
* Running of passenger trains through Angul-Duburi-Sukinda and Haridaspur-Paradip rail links.
* Introduction of “Bakshi Jagabandhu Express” from Khurda to Mumbai.
* Initiation of East Coast dedicated freight corridor from Kharagpur to Vijayawada and East-West dedicated freight corridor from Jharsuguda to Bilaspur to ensure seamless movement of freight between the upcoming ports (Kirtania, Chudamani, Dhamra, Astaranga and Gopalpur) on the Odisha coast including the major port at Paradip.
* Acceleration and completion of project works of Talcher-Bimalagarh and Jaleswar-Digha new lines, doubling of Sambalpur-Titlagarh, Titlagarh-Raipur, Sambalpur-Talcher and Daitari-Keonjhar-Bansapani and 3rd line of Bhadrak-Nergundi-Vizianagaram stretch.
* Early sanctioning of short links– Talcher-Angul via FCI (17 km), Paradip-Dhamra (80 km), Champua-Anandpur-Jajpur (138 km), Barsuan-Banspal-Barbil (58 km)– to ensure seamless flow of traffic and easier access between industrial and mining areas and ports. Additionally, Puri-Konark and Keonjhar Road-Jajpur (via Aradi) link for pilgrims visiting the religious destinations at Puri and Biraja Kshetra, respectively.
* Upgradation of passenger amenities at Puri, Bhadrak, Brahmapur, Cuttack, Jajpur-Keonjhar Road, Khurda Road, Rayagada, Sambalpur, Balasore, Jharsuguda and Rourkela.
* Introduction of DEMU/MEMU services in Sambalpur-Jharsuguda-Rourkela, Cuttack-Paradip, Brahmapur-Balasore corridor and Rourkela-Keonjhar via Barbil to meet the travelling need of daily commuters.
* Starting of work for wagon (or coach) manufacturing factory at Sitalapali in Ganjam, concrete sleeper plants at Kantabanjhi and Bondamunda and Railway asset maintenance units in KBK districts.
* Establishment of new East Coast Railway divisional headquarters at Rayagada, Jajpur-Keonjhar Road and Rourkela.