Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Jan 10:

Three victims of the eve-teasing incident on the Patia-Nandankanan road today identified three of the accused persons at test identification (TI) parade conducted by the Twin City Commissionerate police at the Jharpada Special Jail here.

jharpada jail

Biswaranjan Pradhan, Mrutunjay Patra and Madhab Rout, all residents of Raghunathpur on the outskirts of the capital city were identified by the victims from about 30 persons in the presence of a magistrate at the jail premises.

“Around 20-30 persons were there. We were asked to identify the accused persons in presence of a magistrate. We indentified three out of them. The main accused was not among them. The accused persons who had beaten us were not among them,” said one of the victims to reporters after the TI parade.

While police have recorded statements of the victims under section 161 of the Cr PC, another accused Saroj Tripathy today surrendered before the police. Till date five persons have been arrested in connection with this case.

Bhubaneswar DCP Satyabrata Bhoi today told reporters that very soon police would be submitting its charge sheet in the case.

“In the case pertaining to the Nandankanan road incident, five persons have been arrested so far and they have been forwarded to court. We have already recorded statements of the victims under section 161 Cr PC. Today a TI parade of the accused persons was conducted. This process will help in adding strength to the case. We are hopeful of building up a strong case and will very soon submit our charge sheet,” informed Bhoi to newsmen.

It may be recalled here that some bike-borne youths had on Friday passed lewd remarks at three girls who were chit-chatting with their male friend near KIIT Square here.

Following the incident, the three girls along with their male friend chased the eve teasers on the Patia-Nandankanan road to nab them.

Though the eve teasers had fled the spot, some youths said to be their friends and numbering around 10, suddenly appeared on the scene and abused the girls in filthy language. Later, they had allegedly assaulted the girls and their male friend in the middle of the road.

The girls had alleged while all this was happening in public glare, the onlookers remained a mute spectator to the shameful incident. They had further alleged that despite contacting the police control room (PCR), the cops reached almost after 40 minutes when the attackers had fled the spot.