SHARE

Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Jan 7:

The defamation suit filed by Bhubaneswar Mayor Ananta Narayan Jena against several entities including Niankhunta proprietor Pradeep Pandey and NSUI Odisha President Itish Pradhan was taken up for hearing at Bhubaneswar Senior Judge Civil Division court today where the court extended the ban on broadcast of the sex tape till January 9.

rishi-murder

Next hearing on this case has been scheduled for Monday. Several media houses are likely to present their side in the court on this day.

Speaking on the developments today, Jena’s lawyer Sitanshu Dwivedi said that the video is fabricated and the Mayor had nothing to do with it.

“It would not be appropriate to comment on the merits of the case since the matter is sub-judice. However, our contention is that the viral video that had been telecasted has been manufactured and fabricated only to defame the Mayor,” said Dwivedi.

According to reports, defending Itish, his lawyer Sibanand Ray argued of a conspiracy behind the death of engineering student Rishi Mohanty and sought an inquiry into the sex tape.

“Back then he (Mayor) said that it was not him and that is not his belly (in the sex tape). Then, he didn’t say that CD had been manufactured and is false.  Now, he is arguing so after approaching the court. Why was it necessary for him to wait four hours at the hospital — from the beginning till the end—if he had no relations with Rishi Mohanty,” questioned Ray speaking to reporters.

Pradeep Pandey’s lawyer, meanwhile, argued that the Mayor has not been defamed.

“He has not been defamed. He has not been given a bad name. The purpose of filing the case was to prevent any further investigation into the Rishi Mohanty murder in a well planned manner,” said Pradeep Pandey’s lawyer Ashok Mohanty.