Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Jun 6:
The long queues and endless hassles in obtaining a marriage certificate could soon be a thing of the past with the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) launching the online facility for registration of marriage for youngsters in the Odisha capital.
The applicants can log on to the BMC’s website–www.bmc.gov.in– to avail the online service of marriage registration. The website enables the applicants to download forms and offers a step-by-step guide for the process.
Upon clicking at ‘Apply Marriage Certificate’ option, the citizen will be provided with an electronic Marriage Registration Form wherein applicants are required to fill up the details of the couple in the respective fields.
Besides the online facility of marriage certificate, the corporation has also introduced advance requisition for water tankers, cess pool vehicle and booking of Yatri Nivas. Earlier, it had online services for the issue of birth certificate, death certificate, booking of Kalyan Mandap and payment of holding tax.
Earlier, applicants used to obtain Treasury Challan from banks and submit it along with necessary documents for issue of marriage certificate. However, the online facility is set to reduce the hassle as the users will now have the luxury of paying the fees online to avail the services.
Notably, a marriage which has already been solemnized can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable in cases where both husband and wife are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs or where they have converted into any of these religions. Where neither of the husband or wife or both is a Hindu, Buddhist, Jain or Sikh, the marriage is registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
Necessary documents to be attached
- Form of Application – A & B for Registration of Marriage under Hindu Act, 1955.
- Affidavit of Notary/Executive Magistrate that the couple is married under Hindu Marriage Act 1955 and staying together. Attach the affidavit-Joint (bride and groom) with the form.
- Attach the affidavit of bride’s father/mother with the form.
- Attach the affidavit of groom’s father/mother with the form.
- Attach the affidavit of surname change (if required)
- Joint photograph of marriage of both bride and groom is to be attached with the form.
- Invitation card of marriage of both bride and groom is to be attached with the form.
- Proof of date of birth of both bride and groom.
- Treasury Challan as specified is to be attached with the application form.
- Residential proof of bride/groom of the local area is to be attached with the form.
Verification procedures of documents
- For age proof: verification of certificate
- Affidavit is to be verified.
- Name and present address of applicant/parties is to be verified.
- Name and present address of father/guardian is to be verified.
- Date and place of marriage.
- Name and address of witness of marriage is to be verified.
- Within one month of marriage, treasury challan of Rs 16
- Rs 1000 deposit at BMC towards maintenance of heritage buildings in Bhuaneswar city.
Marriage registration verification days and timings (Only on working days)
- Wednesday: 3 PM to 5 PM
- Saturday: 12 PM to 2 PM