Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Malkangiri, Jul 17:
The eleven persons allegedly abducted by Maoists from Mahupadar village under Mathili police limits in Odisha’s Malkangiri district were released today, reports said.
Reports said the abducted villagers have reached their homes. They were released after being tried at a Praja Court (kangaroo court) in the nearby forests.
Sources said the trial of the abducted villagers at the Praja Court took place deep inside Dandipadar forest in the district, the reports added.
While about 50-60 suspected armed Maoists had abducted eight persons from Mahupadar village on Wednesday at about 9 PM waking up from their sleep, another three persons including a forest guard Pintu Durua were abducted by them on Thursday.
Malkangiri Superintendent of Police (SP) Mitrabhanu Mohapatra said they had received information that eleven persons allegedly abducted by Maoists had been released.
“One of these kidnapped persons was said to be a forest guard. Malkangiri Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) has been contacted to summon this forest guard so that details and reality of this incident could be ascertained”, he added.
“All of the abducted villagers are safe”, said IIC of Mathili Police Station PK Mallick.
According to police sources, neither family members of abducted persons nor anyone else had come out to complain before police about these alleged abductions by Maoists. According to reports, the Maoists had also not stated any reason for these abductions to the family members of kidnapped persons.
The return of the villagers has come as a great relief for their families.