Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Rayagada, Aug 26:
The Kashipur block in Odisha’s Rayagada district is again in the news for wrong reasons. While a minor died after allegedly consuming mango kernel, at least 10 others from Sipijor village under Kashipur block in the district have been admitted to a local hospital.
According to reports, 12-year-old Ranjan Majhi along with several other villagers had eaten gruel made of mango kernel on Thursday night. After having supper, they took ill following which they were rushed to the Community Health Centre (CHC) at Kashipur.
Ranjan, studying in class VII, died while undergoing treatment at the health facility last night. Ten others— Hara Majhi, Lagunji Majhi, Chandan Majhi, Manadei Majhi, Jayanta Majhi, Laxmi Majhi, Chipun Majhi, Phulamati Majhi and, Bipindra Majhi—were receiving treatment at the hospital.
It may be mentioned here that the district is infamous for starvation deaths. Hunger drives the tribals to consume mango kernel and other poisonous substances leading to fatalities.