Puri: A fire mishap at Danagahiri slum under Pipili police limits in Odisha’s Puri district last night claimed lives of a person and his 12-year-old daughter besides leaving his wife critically injured.
According to reports, a house inside which Md Abdul (65), his wife Rahima (55) and their minor daughter Najo were sleeping caught fire around 1 am. On being informed by neighbours, fire personnel reached the spot and rescued them in a critical condition.
The trio sustained 90 per cent burn injuries and was admitted to SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack after preliminary treatment at Pipili Community Health Centre. However, Abdul and his daughter succumbed to their injuries while undergoing treatment. The condition of the woman is stated to be critical.
Mystery shrouds the fire mishap as the door of the house was found locked from outside. It is being suspected that some miscreants torched the house by sprinkling kerosene while the victims were sleeping. Police have started investigation into the incident.