Kolkata, April 17 :
“She was in the room when the fire broke…She is safe,” tweeted Trinamool national spokesperson Derek O’Brien.
Banerjee, who was in Malda for the election campaign, had stayed at a private hotel called Golden Park in Narayanpur.
“The AC in her room got overheated and smoke started to come out. Luckily it was detected early and she was evacuated.
“She is safe now. Her room has been changed,” said state Tourism Minister Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury.
The incident happened at between 6 and 7 p.m.