SHARE

Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Cuttack, May 31:

A major fire broke out at the Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences (ICS) of SCB Medical College and Hospital in Odisha’s Cuttack this afternoon.

SCB CARDIOLOGY DEPT FIRE copy

According to reports, the fire broke out at the nurses’ duty room on the second floor of the building here at about 3:45 pm.

The reason behind the fire is attributed to short-circuit in the electrical wiring system, officials said.

Following the fire scare, at least 60 patients were evacuated from the building to avoid any untoward situation.

Three fire engines were pressed into service to douse the fire.

SCB Medical College and Hospital Emergency Officer Bhubanananda Moharana, Cuttack Collector Nirmal Mishra, Cuttack-Barabati MLA Pravat Biswal, Health Minister Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak, Health Secretary Arti Ahuja rushed the spot to take stock of the situation.

“The situation is under control and no need to be worry about the treatment of patients,” said Cuttack Collector Nirmal Mishra.

“A minor fire broke out in the Sisters’ Duty Room which has been captured by the fire engines and smokes have been cleared breaking the glasses of the building. Evacuated patients are in the process to return to their respected beds,” said SCB Emergency Officer Dr Bhubanananda Maharana.

“Short-circuit could be the reason of the mishap, investigations will reveal the truth,” he concluded.