Mumbai, Nov 15;
Worried by the political fall-out of the Bombay High Court injunction on reservations for Marathas and Muslims, the Maharashtra government plans to move the Supreme Court, officials said here Saturday.
The decision came during an all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on the issue Saturday morning.
The government has decided to form a high-level committee of legal experts to study the issue, besides another committee with representatives of all political parties.
Senior Congress leader and former minister Naseem Khan said the state government would appeal in the Supreme Court against the high court order within the next few days.
The Bombay High Court Friday granted an injunction on Maharashtra government’s decision to provide education and job reservations to Marathas and employment quotas to the Muslim community.
The erstwhile Congress-NCP government had granted 16 percent quota for the Maratha community and five percent for the Muslim community vide an ordinance July 9 this year and this had been approved just prior to the assembly polls.
Admitting a bunch of eight public interest litigation by individuals and groups challenging the reservations, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice M.S. Sonak said the Supreme Court had laid down that reservations cannot exceed 50 percent of the total seats.
Lawyer Ashish Mehta, who represents one of petitioners, said since the next hearing is Jan 5 and the ordinance will lapse by Jan 8, the government is likely to appeal in the Supreme Court within the next three weeks.