Bhubaneswar: Odissi conjures up an image of deft foot works and graceful movements that has drawn several actresses to the classical form. Here are some well-known faces of the silver screen and television soaps, who have trained in Odissi.
1. Shubhangi Atre– Popularly known as ‘Angoori Bhabhi’ in an entertainment TV show Bhabhi Ji Ghar par hai, Shubhangi Atre is a trained Odissi dancer. Another lesser known fact about Shubhangi is that she was Miss Madhya Pradesh in 2003.
2. Esha Deol– Bollywood actress and dream girl Hema Malini’s daughter, Esha, learned Odissi for her interest in classical dance. The Bollywood actress trained under Mumbai-based guru Rabindra Atibuddhi.
3. Rani Mukherjee– She is popular for her acting skills but who knew she is trained in Odissi too? She started learning the dance form from 10th grade.
4. Shilpa Shetty– This Bolly diva famous for her grooves and moves, also trained in Odissi for her movie ‘The Desire’. Shilpa was trained by Odissi guru Ratikant Mohapatra for the Indo-Chinese film, in which she essayed the role of Goutami, a celebrated Odissi dancer.
5. Deepika Singh – Telly actress, better known as ‘Sandhya’ in the daily soap Diya aur Baati earlier aired on Star Plus, trained in Odissi for a few years and debuted as an Odissi dancer at an award function.
6. Gracy Singh– Bollywood actress, well-known for her role of ‘Gauri’ in Lagaan, is a Bharatnatyam and Odissi dancer.
7. Bhavna Pani– Dil Vil Pyaar Vyaar actress and model, Bhavna Pani, is trained in Odissi under the tutelage of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra. She is also a trained Kathak dancer.
8. Nandini Ghosal– She has acted in many Hindi, Bengali, and Malayali feature films and in TV shows like ‘Mantramugdh’ aired on Doordarshan, National. She is trained in Odissi and is also a senior disciple of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra.
9. Meenakshi Seshadri– Popular Indian model and actress, Meenakshi, is currently running a dance school in Dallas, ‘Cherish Institute of Dance’ where she teaches Odissi, Bharatnatyam, and Kathak. Born into a Tamil family, she is trained in four classical dances of India – Bharatnatyam, Kathak, Kuchipudi, and Odissi.
10. Koel Mallick– A well-known actress from Bengal, Koel Mallick, is trained in Odissi under Sudha Dutta. She started learning the classical dance form at the age of 5.