Bhadrak: A major fire broke out at Khadimahara village under Dhamnagar block in Odisha’s Bhadrak district last night gutting more than 50 houses.
According to reports, fire broke out from a thatched house in the village around 3 am due to electrical short circuit. The blaze soon engulfed other nearby houses.
On being informed, three fire brigade units from Bhadrak, Dhamnagar and Bhandaripokhari rushed to the spot and managed to douse the flames with the help of locals after a 3-hour-long effort.
Several families have become homeless following the mishap. Their woes have worsened with all the edible items and clothes being gutted in the fire.
Till last reports came in, officials of local administration had reached the spot and efforts were on to provide temporary shelter to the affected families.