Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhuabneswar, Apr 21:
The Odisha DGP Prakash Mishra on Monday said the two operatives of Indian Mujahideen Tehsin Akhtar and Waqas, who are now in the custody of Delhi police, never revealed anything about their so-called plans to attack Puri or Rath Yatra during their interrogation as has been widely reported in the media.
The DGP, however, said the two operatives of Indian Mujahideen (IM) had visited Bhubaneswar and Puri twice in January this year and stayed in separate hotels but there is still no clarity over the purpose or motive behind their visit to the state.
Mishra was talking to reporters after a high level meeting presided over by Chief Secretary J K Mohapatra reportedly over the security threats on the temple town of Puri.
He said there is constant vigil on the Puri Jagannath temple and the intelligence network in Puri had been strengthened.
“ We are ready to meet any challenge in Puri during the Rath Yatra,” the police chief said.
The state chief secretary Jugal Kishore Mohapatra appealed to the media not to carry sensational news with regard to the Jagannath temple or the Rath Yatra for it could create a false scare and trigger undue panic.
Meanwhile news agencies have reported that the Shankaracharya of Puri Govardhan Peeth Swami Nischalananda Saraswati has urged both the Centre and the state government to put in place a foolproof security in and around the Sri Jagannath Temple as also the devotees who visit the holy 12th century shrine.
Agencies have also quoted the Gajapati king of Puri, Divya Singha Deb, the president of the Sri Jagannath Temple Management, as saying, “The state government has all apparatus to provide foolproof security to the Temple. They should leave no stone unturned.”
The SP of Puri Anup Kumar Sahoo has also assured the people of a stout security set-up in the temple and said there is no reason for any apprehension or fear over the safety of either the holy shrine or the devotees.