Rourkela, Aug 30:
Timely intervention and medical expertise of doctors and staff of Ispat General Hospital (IGH) of Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) has saved the life of a child, who had swallowed a foreign body while playing and was admitted to the hospital in a critical condition on Aug 18.
The 8-year old boy Srinka Nayak from Birmalguda, Kalahandi, aspirated a whistle while playing on 17th August evening. His parents took him to a number of hospitals right from the local PHC and District Hospital Bhawanipatna to VSS Medical College, Burla, but to no avail. The boy was then brought to IGH and admitted in the ENT ward at 11 pm on 18th August. He had violent cough, respiratory distress, cough on feeding and loss of speech when he was admitted here.
A team of doctors under the leadership of Dr. D. Sahoo, Senior Deputy Director (ENT) conducted the operation through bronchoscopy under general anaesthesia and took out the black coloured whistle lodged in the trachea successfully. Dr B.K. Nayak, Senior Consultant (Anaesthesia), Dr.(Ms.) Rajalaxmi Panda, Consultant (Anaesthesia), Dr. Smita Roy, Senior Registrar (ENT) and medical staff of the hospital extended all support in the medical intervention.
With the removal of the obstruction from the airway the boy became stable and recovered fast. He was discharged from the hospital on 20th August after he regained his normal voice and breathing as well as started taking normal diet.
Notably, IGH is the only hospital is the state providing such service. In the last one year, 7 to 10 such cases have come to IGH from various corners of the state and all have been treated successfully thanks to the proficiency of the doctors of this hospital.