Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, May 1:
With the confirmation of three more cases today, the number of officially acknowledged hearstroke deaths in Odisha this summer has gone up to six.
“District collectors of Balangir, Jajpur and Khurda districts have confirmed the deaths were due to sun-stroke,” an official at the Special Relief Commissioner’s (SRC) office said.
Of the six deaths caused due to sunstroke, two were from Mayurbhanj district and one each from Cuttack, Balangir, Jajpur and Khurda districts, said deputy SRC Pravat Ranjan Mohapatra.
There have been reports of at least 34 heatstroke deaths in the state so far.
Mohapatra said the concerned district collectors are in the process of verifying these reports of alleged sunstroke deaths and their reports were awaited.