Home ODISHA LATEST Harassed by neighbours, Odisha family moves OHRC

Harassed by neighbours, Odisha family moves OHRC


Reported by Santosh Jagdev
Bhubaneswar, Apr 24:

Family members of Gajendranath Martha, who is languishing in Jharpada jail here in a rape case, today knocked the doors of the Odisha Human Right Commission (OHRC) seeking justice.


Mahesweta Martha, daughter of Gajendranath of Haripur village under Nirakarpur police limits in Khordha district, along with her two sisters and two brothers, filed a complaint at the OHRC saying her parents had been falsely implicated in the rape case and the whole family was being threatened by a neighbour in the village.

In her complaint, Mahasweta alleged that a neighbour of their village was harassing the family consisting of four brothers and four sisters physically and mentally.

“Our neighbour Jayanta Jena, Jitu Jena, Ajay Jena, Gauranga Jena, Rabi Jena, Kailash Martha and others have been continuously putting pressure on us. Nine months ago my father and mother were falsely implicated in a rape case and put behind bars. It was our neighbour, who had lodged the case against my parents accusing them of involvement in the rape of his nine-year-old daughter. Local police registered a case and forwarded my parents to the court which in turn sent them to judicial custody,” said Mahesweta.

“A month after our parents were put behind bars, the aforesaid persons (neighbours) asked us to leave the village and threatened us of dire consequences if we did not,” alleged the complainant.

“We informed the Khordha Superintendent of police (SP), local Inspector and other district officials about our problem in writing. After six months, the SP directed the local police to look into the matter and the matter was sorted out later with the Inspector’s intervention. But on April 20, our neighbour barged into our house and asked my brothers and sisters to leave village and threw our belongings out of the house,’ Mahasweta said.

“The same day, I lodged a complaint with the local police station and also informed the SP about the matter, but in vain. Therefore, today I lodged the complaint with OHRC to get justice in this issue and have requested the commission to take action against the culprits soon,” she said.