Bhubaneswar: Good news for Indian Railways passengers, especially waitlisted and RAC ticket holders as the train ticket examiners (TTEs) will soon get new device which will help the railways do away with paper charts and will enable last minute reservation.
The East Coast Railways (ECoR) will introduce the Hand-Held-Terminals (HHTs), a new tablet device, for TTEs to get updates about the real-time occupancy status of a running train, hence increasing chances of waitlisted, RAC tickets getting confirmed.
The ECoR has received 33 HHTs — 21 for Bhubaneswar-New Delhi Rajdhani Express and 12 for Puri base for Shatabdi Train, a railway spokesperson informed, adding the new facility will begin from New Year.
The service will be formally launched within the next few days, he added. “The trials are already successfully conducted and it was launched in Patna-New Delhi Rajdhani Express from today onwards”.
All the ticket checking staff of Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains will be provided with latest gadget.
All about HHT:
The HHT, with the size of iPad, will be loaded with passenger reservation chart. This is connected with Passenger Reservation System through GPRS. This will update the details of booking of tickets through online method at every station where the train stops.
Passengers with Reservation Against Cancellation (RAC) or waiting list ticket can check with the TTE’s HHT about the availability of vacant berths.
This will also bring transparency and avoid corruption in allotting berths for RAC or waiting list passengers on running trains.
The HHT can also be used for collecting excess fare, penalty and other charges from passengers and issuing the receipt for the same to them.
After using this, on-board Ticket Checking Staff don’t require to carry printed reservation chart. Apart from this, allotment of vacant berths will be easier in a transparent way.
- Real time reflection of vacant berths to passengers who are boarding train from next station.
- It will also result in greater availability of vacant berths to wait listed passengers. Hence, more passenger satisfaction.
- More bookings will also result in increased railway revenue.
- It will also give a boost to digital India initiative.
- Will give more self respect and pride to checking staff as they will working with gadget.
- Will help in preserving the environment as Checking staff will not have to carry reservation charts.