Reported by Ranjan Rath
Rayagada Nov 21:
A Class IX girl student of Koraput district in Odisha succumbed to burn injuries sustained when she fell into a hot vessel of dal on Sunday at the Koraput District headquarters Hospital on Thursday.
Basanti Barik, a Class IX student of Baligaon girl’s high school in Boipariguda block run by the SC and ST development department who stayed in the school hostel, had fallen into a large container of hot dal while waiting in queue for the mid-day meal on Sunday.
The girl had sustained 30 per cent burn injuries on her back and was taken to the government sub-divisional hospital, Jaipur. However, she had to be moved to Koraput Hospital the day after due to the lack of facilities to treat burn injuries there.
Doctors at the district hospital had said she was recovering well and had planned to shift her to Berhampur for further treatment. But her condition suddenly deteriorated and doctors declared her dead around noon.
District Welfare Officer (DWO) of Koraput, Mr Rao informed OST that an ex-gratia of Rs. 1 lakh had been sanctioned by the state government to the next of kin of the deceased student and arrangements had been made for the delivery of the body to her family after post-mortem.
Several such accidents have happened in government schools earlier as well, a majority of them cases of food poisoning and fire related mishaps during midday meals. However, no specific guidelines have been issued or preventive measures enforced by the government to avoid such mishaps.
Also, it needs to be investigated whether the girl was sick before the accident and if she was treated there in case of sickness.