At least 50 boarders of the Nehrupanga Ashram School hostel in Chandrapur under Rayagada district were taken ill and had to be hospitalised reportedly due to food poisoning, local sources said.
Sources in the school said the students suddenly felt giddy and started vomiting soon after taking their dinner on Tuesday evening.
Fifty of them had to be rushed to the Munigida hospital after their condition deteriorated. They have been put on drip, hospital sources said. However, all of them were out of danger, said Dr Satish Behera, who was attending on the sick students.
A team of doctors has been sent to the school to see if some other students are also afflicted. There are a total of 150 students in this boarding school and they are aged between 7 and 12.