Home STATE CITY Firing on Railway officer: Odisha police seeks to take ARSS MD on...

Firing on Railway officer: Odisha police seeks to take ARSS MD on two-day remand


Reported by Santosh Jagdev
Bhubaneswar, Jun 2:

The commissionerate police have filed a petition in a trial court in Odisha’s Capital city seeking to take Managing Director (MD) of ARSS Subash Agarwal on a two-day remand for questioning in connection with Saturday’s firing on a senior railway official.

subash agarwal

“We have prayed the Court today to take Agarwal on a two-day police custody. The order is yet to come,” informed Twin city Commissioner of Police Dr RP Sharma.

Police on Sunday had arrested Agarwal for allegedly issuing the order for the attack on Joint General Manager (JGM) of Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL), Ajay Kumar near Shree Vihar here to his associates.

The Commissioner said, “We are still investigating the case and trying to figure out the culprits behind the attack. After taking Agarwal into our custody, we will try to extract information from him about the three goons he had hired to attack Kumar. We strongly suspect Agarwal paid a hefty sum to the anti-socials to attack the railway officer.”

On the other hand, the special squad of Commissionerate Police has taken over the case and two teams have been formed under the overall leadership of Bhubaneswar DCP to nab the culprits.

Agarwal ordered the attack on Kumar, who had imposed heavy fines on ARSS for irregularities in the Sukinda-Angul Railway project work, which had been sublet to it by the Ghaziabad based Woodhill-Hillway, police sources had said.

Agarwal, they said, had threatened Kumar of dire consequences in February this year after the latter imposed a fine of Rs 25 lakh on the company for the irregularities committed by it.

Kumar imposed another fine amounting to Rs 3.3 lakh, on May 21 after which Agarwal got wild and decided to finish Kumar off with the help of hired criminals. In a desperate bid to stop Kumar in his tracks, Agarwal had ordered the attack after he ignored his threat and continued with the probe, police had added.

Kumar was fired at by three bike-born unidentified assailants while he was going to his home in Shree Vihar at about 2 pm on Saturday. He, however, escaped unhurt as the bullets fired missed him and hit his car instead.