Bhubaneswar: In a tragic incident, five persons, including four family members of Pal Heights hotel’s owner Satpal Singh, died in a fire mishap at his residence in Budheswari Colony of Odisha capital this morning.
Though Singh and others were initially rescued by fire personnel, five of them succumbed on the way to hospital. However, Singh was admitted to Capital Hospital and his condition is stated to be stable.
The deceased have been identified as Satpal’s younger son Gagan Pal Singh (39), daughter-in-law Bhabana Singh (38), granddaughter Suhavi Singh (12), grandson Ruveer Singh (4) and housemaid Tanu Das (12).
According to reports, neighbours spotted smoke billowing out of the house early this morning and informed police following which fire tenders reached the spot and managed to douse the flames.
As per preliminary investigation, the fire emerged from an air conditioner and soon smoke spread out in different rooms of second floor of the three-storeyed building. False ceilings and wooden planks aggravated fire inside the house, reports said.
Short circuit is suspected to be the reason behind the fire mishap. However, the actual reason can be ascertained after a probe, said R.C. Majhi, Deputy Fire Officer.