Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Cuttack, Sept 26:
Panic gripped SCB Medical College and Hospital in Odisha when a fire broke out at the the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) past midnight on Thursday.
The hospital authorities led by Emergency Officer Bhubanananda Maharana and other staff rushed to the spot and informed the fire brigade and the police, who quickly shifted all the 13 ICU patients after breaking the glass door open.
The patients were brought to the ground floor of the hospital later.
Since the hospital does not have extra ICU units, the life of the patients who were kept on ventilators, were at stake, hospital sources said, adding, all the patients are safe.
While the cause of the fire was not immediately known, sources said that short-circuit could be the reason of the mishap.
It may be mentioned here that water seepage from the roof of the ICU of the hospital was reported last year.
Meanwhile, the kin of the ICU patients have blamed the callousness of the hospital authorities towards the upkeep and maintenance of the ward meant for critically ill patients.