Bhubaneswar, Nov 5:
A fire broke out in a shopping mall at Jayadev Vihar in the city on Tuesday at about 2 pm this afternoon after a short circuit in a shoe outlet. No casualties were reported, fire brigade officials informed.
“On getting information from the shopping mall manager, two fire-fighting vehicles were immediately sent to the spot.It took about one hour to put out the fire completely,” said Babaji Charan Lenka, Assistant Fire Station Officer.
“The fire appeared to have started due to a short circuit in the electric wires running over the store, which is attached to the central AC duct. The ceiling got burnt and soon the material in the store, which seemed to be all leather materials such as, shoes, wallets etc, caught fire,” said Lenka.
“In no time, the room was filled with the smoke,” a salesman of the showroom said.
The store manager noticed smoke emanating from the ceiling of the store’s stock room that stands on the ground floor of the mall and alerted other workers in the shop, the fire officer said.
As soon as we reached the mall, the people were told to vacate the premises. Preliminary report says around Rs. 5 lakhs worth of leather materials of the Khadim’ss showroom were damaged in the fire, he added.