Mumbai, Feb 14:
A massive blaze on Sunday evening engulfed the performance stage during a cultural extravaganza at the ‘Make In India Week’ event here, officials said. There were no casualties.
The fire broke out during a performance of Maharashtra’s Lavani folk dance at the mega event at Girgaum Chowpatty beach, the BMC Disaster Control said.
The fire which broke out around 8.15 p.m. was brought under control in about an hour.
At least 14 fire tenders and 10 water tankers were rushed to the site. The stage was completely burnt down and the show was stopped midway.
Maharashtra Governor C.V. Rao, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and his wife Amruta Fadnavis, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and his wife Rashmi Thackeray, actors Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan, Hema Malini, Katrina Kaif, Vivek Oberoi, Isha Koppikar and Shreyas Talpade, ministers, parliamentarians, legislators, and other prominent personalities witnessing the performance were shifted to safer places.
The BMC said the fire could have been caused by an electric short-circuit.
Fadnavis termed the incident sad and said a comprehensive probe will be ordered and those responsible for it would face action.
He confirmed that there were no injuries or casualties and all artistes and guests were evacuated safely. (IANS)