Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Nov 30:
At least 20 shanties were reduced to ashes in a major fire that broke out in a slum located near Indradhanu Market in Nayapalli area of Odisha capital today.
Properties worth lakhs of rupees are estimated to have been destroyed in the fire, reports said.
The fire which broke out in a shanty around 11.00 AM spread to adjacent shanties in no time.
As most of the shanties had polythene sheets for roofs with old automobile tyres placed on them to prevent these sheets from getting dislodged due to winds, the blaze spread in no time and the area was filled with columns of smoke.
Locals and shopkeepers from the nearby Indradhanu Market tried to tame the blaze before three fire tenders reached the spot and doused the fire.
Most of the residents of these shanties being labourers were away from their homes and had gone to work when fire broke out.
Therefore, little could be salvaged from the fire, however, there has been no casualty reported.
“We suspect that the fire could have originated from the chulah (stove) used by the dwellers. It took over two hours to douse the fire. Around 20 houses have been gutted in the fire mishap,” a fire brigade official said.