Rourkela: A newborn sustained serious burn injuries after fire broke out in paediatric ward of a private hospital here this morning.
The injured infant was shifted to another hospital in critical condition for treatment.
Although, the hospital authorities have managed to control the fire, the locals expressed outrage over the incident following which police personnel have been deployed.
The investigation by police into fire incident is in progress.
According to reports, the incident occurred at around 5 am at the paediatric ward of Om Appolo Hospital. The six-day-old infant sustained burn injuries after the bulb of photo therapy machine exploded and the fire subsequently engulfed the ward. There were three infants in the ward.
The situation was brought under control by the hospital employees using fire extinguishers.