Odisha Sun Times Bureau
New Delhi, Mar 29:
The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court of Delhi today rejected Odisha Crime Branch Special Task Force’s plea seeking 15-day remand of suspected al-Qaeda operative Mohammed Abdur Rehman Katki.
The court, in its ruling, said that the application had not been made within the required time-frame.
It may be mentioned here that the Special Task Force (STF) yesterday had moved the court seeking 15-day remand of Rehman for further interrogation. Rehman is currently in the remand of Jharkhand police.
Earlier this month, STF had moved Salepur Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC) court seeking 14-day remand of Abdur Rehman which had been granted by the court.
Notably, Delhi police and Odisha’s Commissionerate Police had arrested 37-year-old Rehman from his house in the wee hours of December 16 following a joint operation. He had been picked up from his house in Satabatia village under Paschimakachha area of Jagatpur police limits.
Later, he was booked under provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
Rehman, who ran a madrasa at Tangi area near Cuttack, allegedly had links with a man involved in a failed car bomb attack at the Glasgow international airport in 2007, Odisha police had alleged.
Further, the police also had said that he is a member of al-Qaeda in Indian Subcontinent (AQIS) and was radicalising youth for terror activities.