Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Sep 12:
The Crime Branch will probe the Chandpur quadruple murder, informed Odisha DGP Sanjeev Marik today.
“The investigation into the quadruple murder in Shastri Nagar was not effective. That’s why the investigation into the case has been handed over to the Crime Branch,” the DGP said today.
The IIC of Ranpur police station Chandrasekhar Mohanty has been suspended for the delay in investigations into the quadruple murder on September 6, Marik said.
S.K. Vashishth, RDC (central division) today visited Chandpur and conducted an inquiry into the police firing incident yesterday. Vashishth spoke to several senior officers both from the administration and the police in the matter. However, he refused to divulge anything before the local media at Chandpur.
The body of Pradip Behera, who was killed in yesterday’s police firing, was handed over to his family by the police today after post mortem at the Khurda district headquarters hospital. Pradip was later cremated at Chandpur.
Earlier in the day, RDC Central S.K. Vashishth and Niranjan Sahu, collector Khordha, met Pradip’s father at the Khordha hospital and handed him over a cheque for Rs 2 lakh towards ex-gratia as announced by the chief minister, reports said. Pradip’s father ,who was also injured in yesterday’s incident, is undergoing treatment at Khordha.
Meanwhile, a 15 member team of the BJP today visited Chandpur after meeting family members of Pradip Behera. The team demanded a judicial probe into the incident and sought a compensation of Rs 10 lakh for Pradip’s family.
Pradip was killed and more than 50 others were injured, four of them seriously, when police opened fire on protesters who were on a sit-in strike near the police outpost on Thursday demanding the arrest of the culprits responsible for the murder of four members of a family at Shashtri Nagar in Chandpur on September 6.
The protesters confronted the police over its failure to trace the criminals responsible even five days after the brutal quadruple murder.