Cape Town, Nov 1:
A South African court Tuesday ordered the release of a suspect implicated in the murder of football star Senzo Meyiwa.
Murder charges were withdrawn against Zanokuhle Mbatha due to lack of evidence linking him to the murder, the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court ruled, according to Xinhua.
“From the submissions made by prosecutor Getrude Market, the court has accepted that as of now there is not sufficient evidence to put Mr Mbatha to trial,” Magistrate Daniel Thulare said.
“I note the withdrawal of charges by the state against Mbatha and consequently the court orders the release of Mr Mbatha today,” said Thulare.
Mbatha, 25, was arrested in connection with the death of Meyiwa, captain of the South African national team Bafana Bafana. Meyiwa also played for the Orlando Pirates Club.
Meyiwa was gunned down during a burglary in Vosloorus, Ekurhuleni, south of Johannesburg last month. Three men were reportedly involved in the burglary.
His death shocked the whole nation.
South African police has offered a 150,000-rand (about $13,400) reward for information that could lead to the arrest of the killers of Meyiwa.
Mbatha was arrested a few days after Meyiwa was shot dead.
Twelve other suspects have been questioned over the murder.
President Jacob Zuma has ordered the law enforcement authorities to leave no stone unturned in finding Meyiwa’s killers and bringing them to justice.