Reported by Santosh Jagdev
Bhubaneswar, July 26:
Odisha Janaadhikar Parishad (OJP), a leading social organisation, today urged the Central Government to order a CBI probe into the mining scam in Odisha as recommended by by the Justice MB Shah Commission.
Addressing in a state-level convention organised by OJP at Lohia Academy here, organisation president Bijay Kumar Parida said Odisha Government had completely failed to check the massive loot of mines and minerals for eight consecutive years starting from 2003 to 2011. “Due to illegal mining, the State lost revenue worth thousands of crore of rupees and precious forest land that protect environment,” he said.
Parida said the State Vigilance department could not probe such a big scam and hence the Centre has to take the initiative to probe the scam. “Although the Shah Commission has recommended a CBI inquiry, the Central government has, so far, not acted on it. It requires, therefore, pressure from the public because the Opposition parties in the state have failed miserably to ensure the massive scam reaches its logical conclusion,” he said.
The CBI probe could not be held in the state due to lack of mass movement, the dubious role played by the opposition and a secret understanding between the State and the Centre, he further said.
“We can’t wait for the Central Government’s act on the issue anymore. We will stage protest dharna in front of the Parliament demanding CBI probe into the mining scam in the State,” said Parida.
Among others, former DGP AB Tripathy, trade union leader Ajay Rout, journalist Pradyumna Satpathy, Keonjhar Nagarika Samaj president Kiran Sahu, journalist Rabi Rath and youth leaders Dillip Mallick and Amiya Pandav were present.