Home ECONOMY Blackberry reports higher-than-expected loss, to launch phones with Android

Blackberry reports higher-than-expected loss, to launch phones with Android

0
SHARE

Waterloo (Canada), Sep 25:

Wireless handheld devices and services company Blackberry on Friday said it will soon launch a slider phone named Priv on the Android platform as its smartphones’ sales receded and it reported a loss of $66 million in the second quarter of 2015.

Pic Courtesy: www.techradar.com
Pic Courtesy: www.techradar.com

“Priv combines the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform,” said BlackBerry chief executive John Chen in a statement.

The company reported $490 million revenue, which was 46 percent less from $916 million in the comparable period last year.

Although Blackberry’s shares took a nearly four percent dip in the premarket trading session, the Ontario-based company said that it expects “modest” sequential revenue growth in the remaining two quarters of this fiscal and a return to profitability in the fourth quarter.

In the previous month, the company had agreed to buy rival mobile software maker Good Technology for $425 million with an aim to win new clients as it shifts its strategy to device management software for enterprise customers. (IANS)