Bhubaneswar, Nov 7:
Workers of ruling BJD today launched their time tested tirade against alleged “step-motherly treatment” by the Centre holding demonstrations in 18 districts of the state affected by cyclone Phailin last month.
“Twenty five days have passed since the cyclone. But we are yet to receive any funds from the Centre despite having sent two memorandums seeking Rs 5832 crore for rehabilitation works,” Revenue and Disaster Management minister SN Patro said.
After Phailin hit the state, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to sanction at least Rs 1,000 crore out of the disaster fund as an advance pending sanction after damage assessment by suitable authority but not a single rupee has been sanctioned till date, he said.
Earlier, a BJD delegation led by Patro on Wednesday submitted a memorandum to President Pranab Mukherjee through Odisha governor SC Jamir alleging Central neglect in providing assistance to Odisha even though it has been ravaged by the twin disasters – cyclone Phailin and subsequent floods.